High School Biology
The Biology curriculum unit is composed of six 45-minute lessons and is designed to fit with the ecology unit of most introductory biology courses. This unit covers the high school NGSS standards HS LS2-1, HS-LS2-2, HS LS-2-6, and HS LS2-7 as well as most SEP’s and CCC’s.
As part of these materials, students will:
- Explore factors that impact relationships between plant populations and wildfire
- Develop explanations for how invasive grasses and wildfire frequency are impacting the stability of Nevada ecosystems
- Have the option to spend a class period collecting plant population data around their school campus or a nearby field site
- Develop a land management plan to increase the wildfire resilience of a Nevada community
- Learn about career opportunities that conduct the science or resilience actions featured in these lessons
High School Biology Executive Summary
High School Biology Curriculum
Lesson 1: Plant Populations
Lesson 1 (Plant Populations) PowerPoint
Lesson 1 (Plant Populations) Student Worksheet
Lesson 1 (Plant Populations) Preparedness Homework Assignment
Biology Unit Vocabulary
Bottlebrush Squirreltail Reading
Pinyon Pine Reading
(Challenge Option) Emberville Succession Activity Without Cheatgrass
Please complete this short form to access the curriculum.
Tracking how many people are using these materials helps the University of Nevada Cooperative Extension Living With Fire Program secure grants to fund more educational resources like these. We will never share or distribute your contact information with anyone else.