2021 Living With Fire Virtual SeriesDecember 7th, 2021
Below are the recordings and presentations from the “Living With Fire Virtual Series”, part of Nevada Wildfire Awareness Campaign, 2021.
Session 1: Firewise Landscaping
Reduce the threat of wildfire and learn about firewise landscaping around your home.
Wendy Hanson Mazet, Certified Arborist, and Extension Plant Diagnostician. She has expertise in horticulture, arboriculture, noxious weeds, and vegetable and low water use gardening.
Session 2:Wildfire Evacuation Preparedness
- Carson City Fire Department’s Deputy Emergency Manager, Jason Danen, spoke about emergency notification systems such as Code Red and other forms of communication to the public during a wildfire.
- Skyland Fire Adapted Communities’ leader and Douglas County CERT member, Ann Grant, discussed items to prep for an evacuation-go bag and a stay box.
- Living With Fire Program Manager, Jamie Roice-Gomes reviewed the Living With Fire Program website features to aid with evacuation preparation.
Session 3: Perspectives of a Wildland Fire Investigator
- Bradley Milam, Bureau of Land Management’s Fire Mitigation and Education Specialist/Fire Trespass Coordinator discussed a wildfire investigation.
- Jennifer Diamond, U.S. Forest Service - Humboldt- Toiyabe’s Forest Fire Prevention Officer, shared some fire prevention tips.
Session 4: The Timeline of Climate, Weather and Fire
Learn about the interactions between climate, fire and weather.
- Dr. Tim Brown, research professor, climatology and director of Western Regional Climate Center.
Session 5: Protect, Prevent and Prepare with NV Energy
Learn how NV Energy is working with customers and partners using innovative strategies to reduce the risk of wildfire to Nevadans.
- NV Energy’s Natural Disaster Protection Plan Director, James Saavdra
- NV Energy's Director of Delivery Operations, Zeina Randall
Session 6: Wildfire Smoke and Health
What are the potential health impacts of wildfire smoke and how can communities prepare for smoke?
- Chris Smallcomb, National Weather Service – Reno office meteorologist and public information officer discusses smoke forecasting and models utilized to predict smoke.
- Brendan Schnieder, air quality specialist with the Washoe County Health District’s Air Quality Management Division discusses wildfire smoke and health impacts.
Session 7: Home Hardening Q&A
Living With Fire hosted a question and answer (Q&A) workshop focused on "home hardening" or building or retrofitting homes to withstand wildfire. To watch a former presentation on this topic view the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-g4-...
Dr. Steve Quarles, University of California Cooperative Extension Advisor Emeritus and the retired Chief Scientist for Wildfire and Durability, Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety Research Center.
Session 8: Reseeding and Flood After Wildfire
Learn about reseeding landscapes, and preparing for potential flood after wildfire.
- Anna Higgins, forester with the Nevada Division of Forestry (NDF)
- Mark Freese, ecologist with the Nevada Department of Wildlife (NDOW)
- Danae Olson, project manager with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
Session 9: Prescribed Fire in Tahoe in Nevada
Learn about prescribed fire Nevada and the Lake Tahoe basin.
- Keegan Schafer, fuels management officer with the Tahoe Douglas Fire Protection District
- Duncan Leao, forest fuels and vegetation program manager with the U.S. Forest Service – Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest