Online Resources for Nevada Wildfire Awareness Month - Living With Fire ConversationsMay 15th, 2020
Wildfire knows no boundaries – make yours. This is the theme for Nevada Wildfire Awareness Month (NWAM) this May, occurring during a time when everyone is trying to set health boundaries through social distancing and staying at home.
So, this year we are focusing our NWAM outreach efforts online. We're excited to present "Living With Fire Conversations," a Facebook Live series where we will be talking with knowledgeable folks about topic related to wildfire preparedness. Speakers include:
- May 11, 2:30 p.m. – Mark Regan, fire mitigation specialist with NV Energy, will discuss how residents can prepare for a power outage.
- May 14, 11 a.m. – Paul Peterson, Nevada state fire management officer with the Bureau of Land Management – Nevada, Ron Bollier, Nevada state fire management officer with the Nevada Division of Forestry, and Jennifer Diamond, forest fire prevention officer from the U.S. Forest Service Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest, will discuss the fire restriction orders on federal lands in Nevada.
- May 18, 1 p.m. – Marc Titus, Nevada Division of Forestry’s state coordinator for the Nevada Network of Fire Adapted Communities will talk about the Network. Janice Roberts, chapter leader of the approved Holbrook Highlands Nevada Network of Fire Adapted Community, will discuss her experiences with defensible space, and projects around her community.
- May 19, 1:30 p.m. – Evan LaGuardia, meteorologist with the National Weather Service office in Reno, will discuss the fire weather outlook and red flag warnings.
- May 22, 1 p.m. – Melody Hefner, urban integrated pesticide management and pesticide safety education coordinator for Extension, will discuss removing both noxious and nuisance weeds, such as the nuisance weed cheatgrass.
Follow us on Facebook and subscribe to our events so that you don't miss out on this informative series.