How to reduce the vulnerability of garages
- Whether a garage is detached or attached, include it in defensible space planning and maintenance, including the ember-resistant zone.
- Make sure the space between the garage door and framing is well sealed to minimize the entry of embers into the garage.
- Garage windows, vents and other construction components should be treated the same as they would be if part of the home.
- Add a battery back-up to the garage door motor so that the garage can easily be opened or closed if power is out.
- Close garage doors when wildfire is threatening.