March 9 & 10, 2023 - Defensible Space Training for Landscape ProfessionalsFebruary 2nd, 2023
Date and time
Thu, Mar 9, 2023, 12:00 PM – Fri, Mar 10, 2023, 3:30 PM PST
University of Nevada, Reno Extension’s Washoe County Office 4955 Energy Way Reno, NV 89502
About this event:
Participants will hear from several experts on how to reduce the wildfire risk around homes and apply concepts learned during a field site visit. Participants who complete this training will be listed on the Living With Fire website as professionals who are certified to conduct defensible space work.
Cost: $60. Fees include food, course materials, certificates of attendance and Continuing Educations Units.
For more information on classes or certification, email Jamie Roice-Gomes [email protected]
- Christina Restaino, Ph.D. University of Nevada, Reno Extension Nevada State Fire Specialist
- Chief August Isernhagen, Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District
- Jamie Roice-Gomes, University of Nevada, Reno Extension Living With Fire Program Manager
- Melody Hefner, Urban IPM and Pesticide Safety Education Program Coordinator, Emeritus, University of Nevada, Reno Extension
- Wendy Hanson Mazet, University of Nevada, Reno Extension Horticulture Program Officer
- Captain Brittany Lemon, Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District
WEDNESDAY 3/9 (12 p.m. – 4 p.m.)
- Welcome and Introduction to Wildfire
- Defensible Space and Home Hardening
- Fire Behavior, Fuels and Defensible Space from a Firefighter’s Perspective
THURSDAY 3/10 (8 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.)
- Integrated Pest Management for High Fire Risk Invasive
- Choosing the Right Plants for Nevada’s High Fire Hazard Areas
- Site visit for applied final assessment
- Develop a work proposal for the site
- Review work proposals with a local fire agency defensible space inspector
Continuing Education Units Offered
Through this training, participants will receive 1 Pesticide Applicator Continuing Education Unit through the Nevada Department of Agriculture.
Are you interested in hiring a qualified defensible space contractor? Or are you a contractor, looking for more information about our training? If so check out our Defensible Space Professionals page linked below.
An EEO/AA Institution. If you require a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in this event, please contact Paul Lessick, civil rights & compliance coordinator, at least 14 days prior to the scheduled event at 702-257-5577 or [email protected]
If you have any questions about this event please reach out to Jamie Roice-Gomes [email protected]
Funding for this event was made possible from the Bureau of Land Management, Nevada Division of Forestry, and U.S. Forest Service in cooperation with the University of Nevada, Reno Extension along with fees from the training.